Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Things we'll miss about living in RI - Part 1, the Mural

There are lots of things we'll miss about Rhode Island.  I wanted to do a few posts to touch on those things and give them a proper goodbye.

We love our current home in Rhode Island.  Which is rather lucky considering that we didn't actually see the house before we bought it.  Yep, that's right.  I'm going to have to go on a tangent to tell this story quickly.

When we started looking for houses in RI, I narrowed down the search to 13 houses, and came up and saw them all in 1 day.  Our real estate agent has the patience of a saint!  After making offers and having deals fall through 3 times, Vinny came to me with the listing for this house, which had just been reduced and was subsequently in our price range.  Since our agent had spent an entire day and countless emails listening to me harp about what I did and didn't like, I trusted her opinion when she went and checked out the house and said she thought we would like it.  Then she took a gazillion pictures, and I had her measure every room and describe the layout of the house.  I made a digital representation of the house and basically was able to walk through it in my head between the layout and the photos.  She was very nervous when we decided to buy it without actually seeing it.  I think we actually owned it for about 2 weeks before I saw it for the first time.  And it's been great.  OK, back to the real point of this post.

This was the home where we brought our daughter when she was born and raised her for the first 3.5 years of her life.  It will always hold a place in our hearts.  The thing I will miss most about it is the mural I painted in her bedroom of sea turtles. I'm so proud of it, and I know someone else will paint over it without thinking twice.  Maybe it's enough to know that it'll be there under the paint still.



Sea turtles...we will miss you.

1 comment:

  1. I also painted a mural on the wall of our first home when Jessi was born. It was a big giraffe that I would measure her by every six months. All I have now is a picture. I too knew that the new residents would immediately paint over it and was very heartbroken by the thought. However, I was relieved (in a fiendish way) when the new residents, who happened to be friends of mine, said they had to coat the wall several times because I had used oil paints for the giraffe. (Hee, hee, hee, hee, hee . . .)

    ReplyDelete