Friday, May 27, 2011

Chick Peas and Dumplings

One of our favorite wintertime meals is was chicken and dumplings.  We've been vegetarian for a while now, so it hasn't really been on our table this winter.  Vinny has been a bit under the weather, so I wanted to make it for him with a little twist.  Originally I was going to make dumpling soup, but last minute I decided to throw some chick peas and it was really really good.  Not to mention, it sounds really similar to chicken :P  OK, so that's a silly reason, but it added some protein and it was really quite tasty!  So basically it was broth (we don't mind chicken broth, and we had some lying around so I just used it but vegetable broth works just as well), and I heated the broth to boiling.  Then I mixed up about a cup or a cup and a half of flour.  You can pretty much use whatever type of flour you have in the cabinet.  I use a mixture of whole wheat flour and a little bit of self rising flour so the dumplings are a little poofy.  Add an egg, and then slowly add a little water at a time, stirring it until it's just a little sticky.  Then I fork it into the boiling broth a little at a time.  You can make the dumplings as big or small as you want.  I threw in the chick peas and 10 minutes later, dinner was served!  So there you go: vegetarian chicken and dumplings!

No comments:

Post a Comment