Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Mama's Beloved - Early Birthday Presents - The Nook

Vinny has never been very good at holding on to presents for me once he's bought them.  My birthday is in about 2 weeks, and it was no exception.  He arrived at the new house Tuesday morning (YAY) and basically threw my gift at me he was so excited.

He got me the brand new Nook.  Not the color one, the new e-ink version that Barnes and Noble just put out.

So far, it is awesome.  Before we moved out of Rhode Island, I took the opportunity to go by the local library and check out all the different e-readers.  They had the Kindle, the Sony e-reader and the color Nook.  I like the e-ink Nook way better than the backlit color version.  Since I've been spending so much time on the back porch, not having the backlighting is nice.  And the touch screen is much more intuitive for me than the Kindle's push button navigation.  The other one we looked at was the Sony e-reader, but the page refresh on it was pretty slow and it flashed, so when I got going and was flipping pages rapidly, there was almost a strobe effect going on.  The nook does the same thing a little, but it's not as bad as the e-reader.

Vinny was very thoughtful and got me a protective cover, added some family photos for me to have as screen savers, and put a few books that I've been dying to read on it for me (The Hunger Games series, Game of Thrones series, and the Sookie Stackhouse series).  The only problem I have is trying to convince Vinny to let me leave the light on at night so I can read 'just one more chapter.'

Have you considered an e-reader or do you already have one?  Which one do you have and why did you pick that one?  Any suggestions on what should be on my reading list?


No comments:

Post a Comment