Monday, October 3, 2011

Pump it up Part 1: Paper Pumpkins

Our house does not lend itself well to fall colors, so I made some fall pumpkins that were more to our decorating taste.  Total cost for the 2 was around $14.


I got some white pumpkins at the local Michaels while they were on sale.  They also had black and standard orange if those work better with the paper you choose. 

For the smaller size I used 2 sheets of scrapbook paper and for the larger pumpkin I used 3 sheets.

I think it works better with paper without a geometric type print, (ie: no real pattern) but that's just my opinion.  

I started by cutting the paper into strips, widths of around 1.5 to 3 inches, no real exact science to it:


 I used outdoor mod podge and coated the back of a strip using a paintbrush to adhere it to the pumpkin.

Then I slathered on the mod podge over the paper so that it was good and covered.

Having the paper be moistened helps the paper fit down into the curves and indentations.  I used the paintbrush handle to smooth out the bumps and air bubbles at first.

I ended up finding that it was easier to use my fingers though...which I couldn't take photos of because...well, my hands were covered in mod podge.

Rinse and repeat, and repeat, and repeat til the pumpkin is covered. 

I put the pumpkins up on some small glass bowls so that I could reach the bottom more completely.  When the paper is wet, if it adheres to something else, it will damage the paper, so you may have to work on the top first, let it dry and then work on the bottom separately. 

Let it dry and then put a few more coats of mod podge over it to get it good and sealed.



If you try it, send me a link to the photos!  I'd love to see what you make!

No comments:

Post a Comment